Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Teething?

Well, as far as I can tell, my son is teething. He has started waking up in the middle of the night again, and after many nights of trying different things, we are back to going in, putting something on his gums and then letting him cry. After almost 4 hours with him up last night, and most of it spent playing around, we decided Uli's trying to manipulate the situation in his favor. I do believe he's waking up due to teething pain, but he's resisting sleep so he can stay up with his favorite people in the world.

During this process, I have found that both Tylenol and the Hyland's teething gel both have parabens in them, which I have read is not good to use topically, so I can't imagine they're good to ingest. I have also discovered that the teething gel and tablets contain 'baby speed' - a.k.a. coffea cruda - which is what we think is keeping him up. We are down to the amber teething necklace (questionable efficacy, although apparently they're very common in Europe), and topical diluted clove oil. I hope his teeth come through soon, this is wearing us all out.

On another note, I reread 'The Phantom Toll Booth' and loved it just as much as I remember. I can't wait to read it with Uli. I also read 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,' which is the first book I can say I don't like better than the movies. I was a little disappointed. I will still read it with my son though. :)

Finally, the big event of the last week was the day my mom and I locked ourselves out of the house while Uli was asleep inside. I have never had a bigger panic attack in my life. I ended up crawling through an upstairs window and pushing the window AC unit into the house so I could get in. Can you believe Uli slept the entire time? All I can say is thank God my husband likes to leave things strewn about our backyard, otherwise I am not sure where I would have gotten a ladder big enough to get into our window. Needless to say, I was pretty stressed out, and when Uli woke up, I loaded him up into the car, and LaLa, Uli and I went and got ourselves some ice cream. Ice cream cures all worries.


Uli trying ice cream for the first time. 

No comments: